California State Invitational
Irvine Soccer Academy would like to welcome the players, coaches, referees, parents and friends to our Irvine World Cup Tournament and thank everyone for attending. Below is the necessary information and rules of our tournament.
It is the team’s responsibility to ensure they apply in the proper age bracket.
This Class I & Class III tournament is open to all Boys & Girls U13– U17 from CAL SOUTH, AYSO, US SOCCER and all teams affiliated with USSF. Qualifying applications will be accepted on a first-come first-serve basis. The Tournament Committee reserves the right to accept or reject any application. All decisions, judgments and rulings of the tournament referees and officials are final. NO PROTESTS WILL BE ENTERTAINED OR ALLOWED.
- Teams will play in age brackets for the current league season and must have laminated player passes and medical release forms.
- U13 will play 9 v 9 and all others 11 v 11 with no exceptions.
- Teams must be affiliated with FIFA and/or USSF, players and coaches must have laminated cards.
- Unlimited loan players will be permitted with a maximum roster size U13-U17 (18 players), with loan papers, if applicable.
- All USYS teams will need proper travel papers.
Calendar Year age brackets will be used
2006 – U17
2007 – U16
2008 – U15
2009 – U14
2010 – U13
- Teams will register a minimum of 45 minutes prior to their first game (30 minutes for 8:00 am games) on Saturday.
- Maximum roster sizes U9-U10 – 14 players, U11-U14 – 18 players
- There will be no additions to the team roster after the team registers.
- Player cards or medical releases may be accepted later by Field Marshall but only if player is listed on the official team roster at time of registration.
- At registration, Team Manager or Coach must complete, verify and sign the Team Roster on the game card provided by the field marshal. A Coach or Manager who must certify that all players are FIFA and/or USSF registered players.
- Laminated player cards with photo and medical release forms will be required at registration.
- The Tournament Field Marshall shall pull and hold player cards for any player receiving a red card.
Teams will check-in 45 minutes prior to game time at their game site, 30 minutes for 8:00 am games. Field Marshal will check in all teams and will hold player ID cards during match. Coach or Team Administrator will hold Medical Release forms. The Field Marshall will collect match cards, which must be signed by Coach or Team Administrator.
- Player I.D. cards and rosters will be verified upon check-in.
- All teams must have a licensed coach and carded administrator at every game.
- All teams shall consist of at least (8) players. (6 players for U9 – U10)
- Teams must sit on the same side of the playing field and parents must sit on the opposite side of the field directly across from their team. Home team will have choice of ends.
- In the event of a color conflict, home team must change jerseys.
- Home team will supply 3 game balls.
- There will be no coin toss in any preliminary game, Home team will have choice of kicking off or which goal to defend.
- Referees have been instructed to start all games on time. No time will be added.
All games shall be played by, FIFA Rules as modified by USYSA, CAL SOUTH, and the Irvine World Cup Tournament. The Tournament Director will resolve any situations/issues not explicitly covered by the rules. The Tournament Director will make final decisions relating to the interpretation of the Tournament rules. However, the Tournament Director may delegate authority to the Venue Director if the Tournament Director is not present at the game.
Duration of Games & Overtimes, by Halves, and Ball Size are as follows:
AGE – Game Times / Finals / Overtime* / Ball Size
- U17 – 3o Minutes / 30 Minutes / 5 Minutes / 5 Ball Size
- U16 – 30 Minutes / 30 Minutes / 5 Minutes / 5 Ball Size
- U15 – 25 Minutes / 25 Minutes / 5 Minutes / 4 Ball Size
- U14 – 25 Minutes / 25 Minutes / 5 Minutes / 4 Ball Size
- U13 – 25 Minutes / 25 Minutes / 5 Minutes / 4 Ball Size
* In the event a Finals/Championship game ends in a tie, two overtime periods will be played (NO Golden Goal)
- Finals/Championship games that end in a tie after the two overtime periods will go directly to FIFA penalty kicks.
- Semi Final games ending in a tie go directly to PK’s
- Preliminary games can end in a tie.
- All Preliminary Games will be called not less than five (5) minutes prior to the scheduled start of the next game regardless of the amount of time played in each half up to that point.
- Teams that are not ready to start at their scheduled game time will forfeit their game.
5 Team Bracket Format
- Four games played by all teams
- Total point wins bracket
- 2nd in points is finalist
- No formal playoffs all games are essentially a playoff
9 Team Bracket Format
- There will be 3 pools of 3.
- The winner of each pool will advance to the playoffs.
- The winner with the most points will advance directly to the finals and the other 2 teams will play a semi-final.
- All teams not making the finals will play a consolation game against another pool.
- Shin guards are mandatory for all players.
- Proper soccer shoes must be worn by all players (those that contain a toe cleat will not be allowed)
- Players must not wear anything that is dangerous to himself or another player (including jewelry)
- No player will be allowed to play with an injury which could be aggravated by playing or which, in the opinion of the referee, constitutes a danger to themselves or others.
- Substitution by a team shall be unlimited but only with the permission of the referee.
- Substitutions may be made by both teams, with the consent of the referee, at any stoppage of play.
- When a player injured on the field requires attention, they must be substituted off the field of play, if only briefly.
- Substitution shall be made at midfield within (10) yards of the halfway line. The substitute player shall not enter the field of play until allowed by the referee and the player substituted has left the field of play.
The 10-Point scoring system will be used.
- Win = 6 points
- Tie = 3 points
- Loss = 0 points
- Shutout = 1 point
- Each goal scored = 1 point (Maximum (3) goals per game)
- Red Card = Minus 1 Point
- A forfeit win will be scored 1-0.
- 0 – 0 Tie is 3 pts
MAX RECORDED SCORE WILL BE A TEN GOAL DIFFERENTIAL (FOR EXAMPLE 10-0)
Any team who forfeits any pool game will have all of its pool games scored as 0-1 losses. (At the discretion of the Tournament Director).
The Irvine World Cup Tournament is not responsible for teams who do not attend their scheduled games. No refunds well be given for games that are not played due to no shows or teams forfeiting.
ALL TEAMS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CHECKING THEIR OWN STANDING TO DETERMINE IF THEY ADVANCE IN THEIR BRACKETS!
If two teams are tied in points at the end of the preliminary rounds, the following tiebreaker procedures will be implemented to determine a winner:
- Winner of head to head competition
- Least Goals allowed
- Most Goals Scored
- Most total wins
- Most shut out wins
- FIFA penalty kicks
* In the event of a tie between 3 or more teams head to head will not be used.
All Championship games that end in a tie after 2 overtime periods will be decided by FIFA penalty kicks.
Players on the Championship Team will be presented with Championship Medallions and Team Trophy, Finalists Medallions to the runner up at the completion of the championship game.
- Coaches have complete responsibility for the conduct of their players, bench, friends, and spectators at all times. Coaching from the sidelines (giving direction to one’s own team on points of strategy and position) is permitted, provided:
- No mechanical devices are used.
- The tone of the voice is instructive and not derogatory.
- Each coach or substitute remains within 10 yards on either side of the halfway line.
- No coach, substitute, or spectator makes derogatory remarks or gestures to the referees, other coaches, players, substitutes, or spectators.
- No coach, substitute, or spectator uses profanity or incites, in any manner, disruptive behavior.
- In the opinion of game officials, a game must be terminated for misconduct of players, bench or spectators, the offending team can be suspended from further play and forfeit that game and all remaining games. In this event, all previous points earned remain as played.
- Any player or coach ordered from the field of play (RED CARD) will not be allowed to participate in the next match as a minimum and if violent conduct occurs the player or coach may be ejected for remainder of tournament at discretion of Tournament Director.
- Two YELLOW cards during a match shall be ejected for remainder of the match and will serve a one game suspension.
- Any player or coach who assaults a referee will be expelled from the Tournament immediately.
- Disciplinary measures imposed by this tournament organization for inappropriate behavior shall not be limited to placing restrictions upon an individual player, coach, and spectator or team’s participation in the tournament. Such disciplinary action will be as determined by and at the discretion of the Tournament Director or designated Field Marshall and can include exclusion from further tournament participation.
- Any cards issued will be reported to US Club and USYS in a tournament report and thereby to the home club/league of the player, coach, team or supporters involved except that all matters involving a referee assault shall, in accordance with USSF Rule II08, be referred immediately to USYS and US Club Soccer. The home state association and the home club/league of the player, coach, team or supporters shall, except in the case of referee assault, have the responsibility for imposing, should the circumstances warrant, additional sanctions within their respective jurisdictions with regard to matters arising from the tournament.
In the event of inclement weather, which the Tournament Committee deems as being unsafe conditions for the players and/or the fields, and competition cannot continue:
- Matches that are at the half time or are in the second half will have the score stand as final.
- Matches that are in the first half of play may be shortened, kicks from the penalty mark, or other means, as determined by the Tournament Committee, may be used to determine winners.
- If the tournament is cancelled due to inclement weather prior to the start of competition, teams will be issued partial refunds according to Refund Policy.
- Full refunds will be made to all teams not accepted.
- Teams must drop in writing 30 days prior to the start of our tournament to receive a refund. Requests for (DROPS) withdrawals from the tournament will only be accepted from Administrators (Contact Person or Coach) listed on the team application for the tournament.
- Refunds provided to teams that drop prior to the deadline, will be assessed a $150.00 administrative fee.
- Teams that drop after the (30 days prior to the start of the tournament) deadline will forfeit their entire entry fee.
- If the tournament is cancelled as a result of weather or acts of God prior to the start of the tournament teams will receive a full refund less an administrative fee of $150.
- If the tournament is cancelled once it begins, refunds will be given according to the following schedule:
- Three Matches Played No Refund
- Two Matches Played $100 Refund
- One Match Played $200 Refund
- Cancellation of All Matches Full Refund less $150 administrative fee.
- The Tournament is not responsible for teams who do not attend their scheduled games. No refunds will be given for games that are not played due to no shows or teams forfeiting.
- Teams who have signed up for the wrong age bracket and provide us with less than 10 days’ notice will be dropped from the tournament and lose their entire entrance fee.
At the end of each game, each Coach or Team Administrator must carefully review and sign the game cards. Coach or Team Administrators should review posted scores to verify scores are properly recorded and contact Field Marshal and/or Tournament Director immediately of any possible errors. The score card is official match record and may not be changed except under the following circumstances:
- If Coaches/Team Administrators of both teams, meet with Field Marshal and agree to a score correction, the Field Marshal will correct the score and other records accordingly
- If Referee verifies incorrect score was recorded, Field Marshal (with Tournaments Director’s approval) may correct score and other records accordingly.
- Scores incorrectly posted shall be investigated by Field Marshall by checking original match record and corrected accordingly.
- Smoking is not permitted in the immediate vicinity of any playing site.
- No pets shall be permitted in the immediate vicinity of any playing site. We will make an exception for service dogs providing the owner has the proper service dog paperwork documentation.
- No alcoholic beverages shall be permitted in the immediate vicinity of the playing site. No person shall be permitted to appear on, or in the vicinity of, the playing site in an intoxicated condition.
- Breaking the law is under the jurisdiction of the Irvine Police Department, not the tournament management team. Proper authorities will be contacted as deemed necessary
** All games will be considered final and no protests will be allowed **
RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE